Apache License v2.0

Chuck Swiger chuck at codefab.com
Fri Sep 26 23:38:39 UTC 2008

On Sep 26, 2008, at 3:53 PM, Lawrence Rosen wrote:
>> I grant that these two modes of providing access to the source
>> are permitted, but I don't see that they are the exclusive modes.
>> In particular, Licensor's obligation to provide source code may
>> require
>> Licensee to do something not mentioned in the License (such as pay
>> extra
>> for it).
>
> Really? Do you know of anyone who does that?

RedHat?

>> The only thing Licensor can't do is to provide no terms at
>> all for access to the Source Code.
>>
>> (The GPL adds "at no more than the cost of distribution" language to
>> prevent such source-code ransoming: as I recall, I urged you to do
>> the same.)
>
> And I rejected your urging as unnecessary, adding extra words to
> solve a
> non-problem. Can you show me any real example of source-code
> ransoming?

See https://www.redhat.com/apps/download/

"The Linux standard. For businesses, governments, or other users
looking for stable, supported, and certified Linux.  Available for
immediate download starting at $80."

Of course, Fedora is also available, but it seems to be quite
difficult to get the actual Redhat sources, even ones under the GPL,
without placing an order to get a subscription #/login account.  Even
the 30-day free evaluation requires you to register and agree to pay
for the software if you use it longer than the trial period.

Regards,
--
-Chuck