distributing MIT + GPLv3 project

Bryce Allen osi at bda.ath.cx
Mon Nov 24 00:32:35 UTC 2008

I am preparing to release the code used for my thesis, and I would like
to release under the MIT license. However one of my subclasses is
GPLv3: it is a modified version of an example shipped with the GNU
Multiple Precision Arithmetic Library (GMP).

My understanding is that the full project must be released GPLv3.
However I want to make it clear that most parts are under the MIT
license. Below I outline my plans; I would like to know if the result
will be compliant.

I include both licenses, in files COPYING.GPL3 and COPYING.MIT. In
COPYING I have the following text:

All source code and data files are copyright 2008 by Bryce Allen except
for:

factorize.cc
lib/FastFactoredInteger.cc

factorice.cc is taken directly from the GMP source distribution.
FastFactoredInteger is derived from factorize.c, and both are
Copyright 1995, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005 Free
Software Foundation, Inc.

The entire project is distributed under the GPLv3 license (see
COPYING.GPL3). However all components except for FastFactoredInteger.cc
and factorize.cc are under the MIT license (see COPYING.MIT).

factorize.cc and FastFactoredInteger.cc both include the original
copyright notice.

All other source files include the following text:

/*
 * File Description
 *
 * Copyright (C) 2008 by Bryce Allen
 *
 * Distributed under the MIT license: see COPYING.MIT
 */

Thanks for your time,
Bryce Allen