Request for approval: EUPL (European Union Public Licence)

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Sat Mar 15 11:20:59 UTC 2008

Firstly one should never request read receipts on public mailing lists,
it is considered an invasion of privacy; similarly for delivery receipts.

Ian Vernon wrote:

> I wonder if there is a need for OSI to approve any version of the license
> since it already came into law in 2007 and considering what is intended for:

That doesn't make sense.  It is possible for statute to make it
impossible to have an open source licence within a jurisdiction.  It is
not possible for statute to make a licence be open source in any way
that anyone outside that jurisdiction would accept it to be open source
unless the licence is actually open source, and give or take arguments
about trade marks, OSI is the arbiter of whether or not it is open source.

If you were to think the licence intent were fundamentally contrary to
open source, you could make a case for OSI not considering, of course,
but the implication of saying no need to approve is that is somehow de
jure open source.

--
David Woolley