Public domain software is not open-source?

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Thu Mar 6 05:52:42 UTC 2008

Philippe Verdy scripsit:

> I did not say that he MUST put a copyright notice, but that it MUST do that
> IF he wants to LICENCE it. Otherwise the licence is just FUD!
>
> And YES! he is a liar if he gives a licence without a copyright statement,
> i.e. an explicit claim of ownership of the rights covered by the licence.

That turns out not to be the case.

In all signatories to the Berne convention, every work fixed in a tangible
medium, including a grocery list, is copyright.  No signatory may require
particular formalities such as a copyright notice.

--
Some people open all the Windows;       John Cowan
wise wives welcome the spring           cowan at ccil.org
by moving the Unix.                     http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
  --ad for Unix Book Units (U.K.)
        (see http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/dmr/unix3image.gif)