Public domain software is not open-source?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Mar 5 00:53:17 UTC 2008

Quoting Matthew Flaschen (matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu):

> Philippe Verdy wrote:
> >You forgot to give the copyright notice (independantly of the licence
> >providing grants of use or transmission and forwarding)... You are in
> >trouble because of violation of your own terms by yourself!
>
> The Berne convention does not require a copyright notice.  He can not
> violate his own license by omitting one.

He could not violate his own licence anyway, because -- obviously -- he
doesn't _need_ a licence to use a creative work whose copyright he owns
outright.  _Other_ people need some sort of permission; a copyright
owner's rights are inherent unless and until he/she transfers title to
someone else.

(I am actually assuming and hoping that Philippe's post was facetious.)