Public domain software is not open-source?

Alexander Terekhov alexander.terekhov at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 18:36:54 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 7:06 PM, Lawrence Rosen <lrosen at rosenlaw.com> wrote:
> Alexander,
>
> This copyrighted email is hereby licensed under AFL 3.0. Copying this email
> in violation of those license terms is hereby prohibited.

Only the new material (that you own) is licensed under AFL 3.0.
Copying substantial portion of your email quoted below in violation of
those license terms is ...

>    Let me not to the marriage of true minds
>    Admit impediments. Love is not love
>    Which alters when it alteration finds,
>    Or bends with the remover to remove:
>    O no! it is an ever-fixed mark
>    That looks on tempests and is never shaken;
>    It is the star to every wandering bark,
>    Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.
>    Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
>    Within his bending sickle's compass come:
>    Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
>    But bears it out even to the edge of doom.
>    If this be error and upon me proved,
>    I never writ, nor no man ever loved.

... NOT prohibited. Your copyright license doesn't cover that work
because you don't own that material.

> Now, please, can we let this topic rest?

Why are you being so imprecise in formulating what is not allowed by
your copyright license?

> /Larry Rosen
> (along with this entirely gratuitous attribution to Shakespeare, who has no
> way at all under copyright law to force me to acknowledge him)
>
> P.S. There is a public domain, but this email isn't in it.

THAT HAS NO EFFECT ONE WAY OR THE OTHER ON PUBLIC DOMAIN STATUS OF THE
PREEXISTING MATERIAL

Attribution: HOUSE REPORT NO. 94-1476

regards,
alexander.

--
"12/21/2007 ORDER TO EXTEND TIME FOR DEFENDANT...
 01/22/2008 ORDER TO EXTEND TIME FOR DEFENDANT...

 -- 1:07-cv-11070-LTS aka Never Beginning "GPL Enforcement" case