question on a BSD-type license

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Tue Jul 29 07:08:17 UTC 2008

Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> Qianqian Fang wrote:
>> My question is:
>> 1. is this additional clause redundant from the no-liability
>> disclaimer in the license?
>
> I don't see why it would be necessary.  BSD already disclaims "FITNESS
> FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE".

That seems to be a question of law, which means that you need to ask
your lawyer.  Just make it clear that you put a premium on using
standard terms.

>> 2. does this additional contradict with the other terms and invalidate
>> the BSD license?
>
> It wouldn't be OSI-approved with that addition.  It's probably
> compliant, but OSI would be reluctant to approve the modified version.

That's because of licence proliferation.  It would create a new licence
without obvious need.  Note that any rule actually forbidding use, would
disqualify it under the "field of endeavour" rule.

--
David Woolley