using Visual Basic in open source projects

Pablo Dotro pdotro at df.uba.ar
Mon Jul 21 20:44:24 UTC 2008

Greetings,

I am aware that this is very probably an off topic subject, I will
gladly accept any suggestions as to where to properly ask this question ;-)
I work as technician at the Universidad de Buenos Aires (University of
Buenos Aires, in Argentina), in charge of IT services for the Physics
Dept. teaching labs (at the Facultad de Ciencias Exactas y Naturales,
FCEyN).
We are about to start a project that includes developing a ton of data
adquisiton and data anlysis software to replace some very old utilities
that were traditionally used in some of the regular experiments the
students perform.
They are currently written in QuickBasic for DOS, in a mix-up of sample
code from equipment manufacturers and old student and staff
contributions accumulated along the years. Since most original authors
are uncredited, and some of the code is in really bad shape, we are
"clearing the board" and starting again from ground zero.
One of the premises of the project is that we are to chose the "most
open" licensing scheme we can find.
Now most of our coding experience is in Visual Basic 6, and we have very
little experience in creating open source software.

We are using the standard controls shipped with VB6, and some freely
available (in binary form) ActiveX controls. Is it still possible to
release our code under a free and open source license, even when it
depends on the use of third party libraries and controls that are closed
source? anyone has experience in doing this?
I understand that I need to get a lawyer for proper legal advise, but I
would like to start with at least some information before being able to
convince our management to get proper legal counsel involved in this.
Thanks in advance,

--
Pablo M. Dotro
pdotro at df.uba.ar