distributing GPL libreries

dtemeles at nvalaw.com dtemeles at nvalaw.com
Tue Jul 15 21:29:47 UTC 2008

This is not legal advice - consult an attorney for your specific situation.

Good afternoon Scott,

I don't see how your response supports the conclusion that the three
classes of parties you mentioned in your prior post are excluded from
the definition of "third parties" or "other parties" under GPL v 2 or
v 3.

Even if the FAQ supported your position in relation to GPL v 2, the
parole evidence rule typically prohibits the introduction of external
documents and evidence to contradict or explain a term in an agreement
unless the term is ambiguous.  Assuming that a court would find the
term to be ambiguous and permit the submission of explanatory
evidence, is a FAQ describing what a third party (FSF) thinks the term
means either relevant or admissible in establishing the meaning of the
term in the license agreement entered into between the two parties?
That would seem to be a stretch.  Are the parties even aware of the
FAQ?  Do they agree with the FSF's interpretation? Does the court
agree that the FSF's interpretation is consistent or contradictory?