distributing GPL libreries

dtemeles at nvalaw.com dtemeles at nvalaw.com
Tue Jul 15 16:04:16 UTC 2008

This is not legal advice -

Larry Rosen wrote:

"As third parties are not a) other branches of the same government
institution, b) other divisions and/or subsidiaries of the same
corporation, c) those who  are working for hire or otherwise
consulting for you etc, there are a host of scenarios where you can
benefit from GPL code without reciprocating."

Larry, where does the GPL define "third parties"?  I confess that I
have not searched far and wide, but I do not see anything that would
necessarily exclude the 3 categories you mention from the definition
of third parties.  It would appear that this is a state law contract
interpretation issue that could vary from state to state.

Also, the definition of "convey" referneces "other parties" rather
than "third parties".  I suggest that the issue is not as clear as
might first appear from your response.

Very truly yours,

Dave