Convert GPL to MPL

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Fri Jan 18 21:22:28 UTC 2008

Alexander Terekhov scripsit:

> The context here is the scheme under which GPL redistributor (a party
> to the GPL) insists that distributee contracts away his "freedom 0."

Just so.  (Those who speak reasonably will be treated as reasonable, for
now anyway.)  It's fine under the GPL to say "Sign this or I won't give
you the bits."  After all, you can get the bits from someone else, and
there is no right under the GPL to obtain bits from a specific licensor,
unless they are source bits and he has already provided you with the
corresponding binary bits.

> If that is OK then what is the point of the GPL? Just curious.

Copyright law prevents everyone from doing certain actions whether they
have agreed to refrain from them or not.  Contracts constrain only those
who sign them.

--
You let them out again, Old Man Willow!                 John Cowan
What you be a-thinking of?  You should not be waking!   cowan at ccil.org
Eat earth!  Dig deep!  Drink water!  Go to sleep!
Bombadil is talking.                                    http://ccil.org/~cowan