DRAFT FAQ: Free vs. Open

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Fri Jan 11 23:31:45 UTC 2008

Philippe Verdy wrote:

>>> "Fair use" is not relevant for documents that are text only.
>> Yes, as a matter of fact it is.

> You spoke about fair use in relation with France.

Yes, I did.  I said, "Yes, I know there's no fair use in France".

> France DOES have a right of citation but much more limited than fair use in US which is much broader
> and is applicable to text-only quotations (excluding all other related
> rights such as page layouts, fac simile copies, artistic designs...). I was
> clear in what I wrote that this refered to France only,

You spoke explicitly about "fair use" not applying to text documents
(see quote at beginning of email), and what you said was categorically
false.  If you had instead spoke of "right of citation" and text
documents, you might have been accurate.

Matt Flaschen