DRAFT FAQ: Free vs. Open

Tzeng, Nigel H. Nigel.Tzeng at jhuapl.edu
Thu Jan 10 11:45:01 UTC 2008

John Cowan [mailto:cowan at ccil.org] wrote:
><snob>Many small projects are cathedrals, or at any rate chapels.

>The original cathedral/bazaar contrast, as explicated in ESR's paper,
>was about two different styles of free software development, and had
>nothing to do with proprietary software at all, a fact that seems to be
>little remembered today.

Yes...and what folks also often miss is the importance of community
development required for effective bazaar development.   Something
more difficult for small open source projects to develop than large,
well established, projects like Apache.

There are also leadership style requirements for bazaar development...

On topic, I think you have mention the philosophical differences between
open source and free software.  The FSF certainly isn't shy about that
and a somewhat more neutral FAQ from the OSI discussion would be
nice.

Perhaps OSI's neutral stance on proprietary software is born from
pragmatism but it does allow the OSI to be inclusive rather than
exclusive.

Nigel