OSI enforcement?

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at linpro.no
Tue Jan 8 13:54:26 UTC 2008

Arnoud Engelfriet <arnoud at engelfriet.net> writes:
> I'll admit I'm not a US trademark lawyer (only a European trademark
> attorney), but all the literature I've seen on the concept of OSS
> acknowledges OSI as the origin of the phrase, or at least as the
> central body behind the concept.

Had you been so inclined, it would have taken you only seconds to
discover that the term was in use more than ten years before the
creation of the OSI.  One specific example referenced by the Wikipedia
article on Open Source is its use by the NSA in a February 1987
position paper arguing in favor of placing cryptographic software
under ITAR.  The following excerpt from that paper was posted by Tony
Patti to sci.crypt in a May, 1990 discussion of the availability of
freely reusable source code for DES (the cypher, not me):

   "Although software was developed from open source material,
   the application of that information into the subject software
   program contains cryptographic capabilities that are controlled
   under category 13B."

See http://groups.google.com/group/sci.crypt/msg/0243ee9294bdc300 for
the full message with a link to the rest of the discussion.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav
Senior Software Developer