OSI enforcement? (Was Re: Microsoft use of the term "Open Source")

Russ Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Wed Jan 2 16:04:25 UTC 2008

John Cowan writes:
 > Russ Nelson scripsit:
 >
 > > "Compel" is such an ugly word.  While governments may have a monopoly
 > > on legitimate violence, violence is not the only way to change
 > > people's behavior.
 >
 > Why the jump from compulsion to violence?  You, for example, have the
 > power to compel me not to post to this list,

You're mixing oil and water.  I have the power to compel you not to
post to this list because it is run on my personal property, and I
have control over my property.  Trademark law seeks to control an
externality.  The government writes the legislation which applies to
trademark law, and it enforces that legislation using violence.

 > but that's hardly an act of violence, though some might wonder
 > about the justification.

If I were to do that, it would be because of what you had said, and
the record would be there for everyone to see.

--
--my blog is at    http://blog.russnelson.com   | Software that needs
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | documentation is software