my new project

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Fri Dec 5 21:35:25 UTC 2008

John Stoner scripsit:

> The main benefit I can see of reversing this is that I could host on
> Sourceforge or Google Code, which would be nice. And we'd all have an
> open-source wii remote driver for Java. I even wrote some build code that
> goes and downloads the closed-source jar from its origin. But now I'm
> feeling funny about distributing that way.

You can host all your code on an OSS-only repository including the
downloading build code: that's perfectly fine, and you can use any
license on your own code.

> 1. does anyone recommend a particular license? I'm more persuaded by
> practical considerations than ideological ones. I like the GPL, but don't
> have a strong commitment to a particular license.

Given your stated values, I'd choose either the Apache 2.0 license or
the BSD 3-clause license, depending on whether you care about GPLv2
compatibility or not.

--
"Well, I'm back."  --Sam        John Cowan <cowan at ccil.org>