I have many questions and do not really know where to start

Daytona ePro daytona.epro at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 05:22:41 UTC 2008

Hello,

I was unable to locate information on opensource.org that could be
helpful to an independent garage developer such as myself so I decided
to subscribe.
Maybe the information is there and I am not correctly searching for it.
Many of my questions and thoughts are probably old news to most people
on this list.

I have a compilation of my own code that is starting to turn into
something useful.  I have set my mind to complete this idea and I very
satisfied with my progress so far.  Here is what I consider to be my
reality:
  1)  I do not have anyone lined outside my front door waiting to hand
me a check, nor do I plan on spending any time calling anyone up looking
for a check
  2)  I would like to see my project have the opportunity to find it's
own niche of popularity and be successful.  I believe open source is the
right vehicle because there is no way I could keep up with modification
demands of a large popular project by myself.  I can only see that
happening with the cooperation of other developers who want to make a
contribution
  3)  I have concerns about being small.  For instance I would be very
unhappy if a company were to take the source code, improve upon it in
house, and sell the modified code under a restrictive license where I do
not have access to the source.  This would essentially shut me out of my
own code.  I think I would rather melt my hard drive and let it be the
greatest unpublished project in my own mind than see that scenario happen.
  4)  I do not think this is an issue among licenses but I  want to make
sure I reserve the right monetize my own distribution or official
technical support efforts.
  5)  I do not understand how open source licenses impact future
revisions.  Do certain licenses assert every code modification is open
source?  Does the copy right holder have the right to modify a license
at any time?
  6)  What do I do just pick one of the commons licenses, download, and
implement it?

Thanks in advance for taking a moment to respond to my inquiry,  I
welcome any additional thoughts or comments about the selection and
implementation of open source licenses.

Regards,
-Sean