Strong Court Ruling Upholds the Artistic License (fwd)

Tzeng, Nigel H. Nigel.Tzeng at jhuapl.edu
Sun Aug 17 15:06:57 UTC 2008

I find it interesting that the response to a lawyer's unofficial but professional opinion about a legal
ruling is disagreement and "are you deliberately trolling here?".

This would be kinda like a lawyer asking me if I were deliberately trolling when I provide unofficial
(because you aren't paying me for my services) but professional opinion about how a SOAP based
web service implementation may not be as rosy a vendor makes it out to be based on my own
experience with interoperability issues with SOAP-based web service stacks.

The lawyer is certainly welcome to have an opinion about SOAP, SOA, etc and I would assume
they are intelligent but I would wonder whether  the basis of their opinion is more than reading white
papers, vendor propaganda and the blog posts of other SOA developers...

I would certainly be less inclined to post again on a lawyer mailing list about legal software
packages populated by mostly lawyers and not developers...

My layperson perspective (based on news articles and...heh...blog posts of real lawyers)
on the most recent rulings (MDY v. Blizzard, Jacobsen v. Katzer, etc) is I find that since the 9th
Circuit MAI v. Peak ruling the courts have been allowing software copyright holders more and more
rights beyond what I understand other copyright holders enjoy.

I don't see this as a good thing.