Open Source License for Excel Macros (Was: Creative Commons)

Somik Raha somik.raha at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 17:48:51 UTC 2008

Thank you for the responses. The typical scenario for usage of the macros
would be a consultant using them to create a model and providing the results
to his client. The results would also include the open-source macro in it.
It is important that the consultant not be required to distribute their
models (in the Excel workbook) to the general public. I want to make doubly
sure that the Excel workbook is not considered derivative work of the macro
or corresponding source.

Here is the template I am considering, using GPL v3:

If you modify this Program, or any covered work, by linking or combining it
with *libraries provided in *Microsoft Excel (or a modified version of those
libraries), containing parts covered by the terms of the *Microsoft End-User
License Agreement*, the licensors of this Program grant you additional
permission to convey the resulting work. {Corresponding Source for a
non-source form of such a combination shall include the source code for the
parts of Microsoft Excel used as well as that of the covered work.}
I will also give the option of LGPL to those who don't mind their libraries
being used in closed systems, but for those who would like to prevent such
usage, I want to make sure I interpret the terms of the GPL appropriately.
Unfortunately, IANAL, and I appreciate all the guidance I have been
receiving thus far.*

Cinly wrote: *
*I think we should not focus on the actual mechanics of the templates
delivery, i.e., Microsoft Office or OpenOffice format. The key is the
content, i.e., the arrangement of stuff you see on screen. Make sure that
recipient has the rights to do what you want them to be able to, and this
should include file format shifting.
*
I am assuming that nothing in the Creative Commons licensing prevents
changing of the file format, and I don't need to explicitly mention it
anywhere.

Thank you so much.

Regards,
Somik