Which license best fits this need?

Ryan Cross ryanecross at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 16:01:22 UTC 2008

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 10:44 PM, <james at architectbook.com> wrote:

> I guess I was looking for guidance on encouraging enterprises whose primary
> business model isn't technology to not have to contribute vs software
> vendors whom I want to force to contribute and which license best fits this
> need

Its generally best to expect everyone to contribute. If a company isn't
based on technology, then they will likely not be modifying the code and
thus not have anything to contribute anyways, so explicitly trying to say
they don't have to contribute is probably wasted effort.

> .Don't really care about the whole GPL vs BSD as this is irrelevant and for
> example purposes only.

You're definitely asking the wrong crowd then. The people here care about
the differences between licenses, and thus it is definitely not irrelevant.

> If folks like to talk about GPL, let's acknowledge the simple fact that
> many corporate lawyers in large enterprises whose primary business model
> isn't technology tend to eschew using GPL software when it can be linked
> into applications. Whether their perspective is correct, doesn't really
> matter. Choosing software that is attractive from a variety of perspectives
> is more important than solely the philosophy of those who have particular
> license preferences.

It is not your role to decide what someone else chooses for their software
needs (unless you're a consultant for them or something) so it is better to
decide what is the best license for your project's needs and let the chips
fall where they may. Can't please everyone, so at least make sure to please
yourself. In license terms, the more people you want to play (or please)
then the more liberal your license should be. The various licenses form
somewhat of a discrete continuum and is what people on this list are
interested in discussing/debating details of.