Creative Commons

Joichi Ito jito at neoteny.com
Tue Aug 5 08:51:31 UTC 2008

As Chris says, we are careful to let people know that CC is for data
and "content" not code.

As Rick says, there are some basic differences. One of the keys is
that "exploitation" of code usual involves creating a derivative
whereas unedited copies of "content" usually/often doesn't. Although
"non-commercial" has many issues, it was the restriction that seemed
to most often "trigger" the notion of exploitation/use and is in some
ways equivalent to the derivative use test for code. I realize there
are many differences and can easily be argued, but I think the this
notion on what "triggers" certain restrictions and rules is
fundamentally different.

Also, code is much more likely to involve patents and this needs to be
dealt with and can also be used as a "stick". In documentation and
content, the only "stick" we have is copyright.

- Joi