Implications for switching licenses mid-stream

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Apr 24 19:38:37 UTC 2008

Quoting John Cowan (cowan at ccil.org):

> These distinctions are founded on Hohfeld's basic classification of
> rights, which unfortunately has no terse yet rigorous explication on
> the net that I can find.  Briefly then, rights may be claims (or
> rights narrowly construed), liberties/privileges (we say "liberty" if
> everyone has it and "privilege" if only some do), powers, and
> immunities.

I'm sure this is all very interesting, but the difference between
something one has a right to do, on the one hand, and something one can
do without anyone else having even iota of ability to raise, let alone
enforce, a valid legal objection capable of enjoining that deed, on the
other hand, strikes me as being absolutely, positively academic in every
sense of the term.

If that perception makes me a horribly unethical person, then I suppose
I'll just have to find a way to live with that dramatic juncture in our
collective narrative.