Licensing a python module

Dan Stromberg dstromberglists at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 00:30:34 UTC 2008

I wrote a python module:

	http://stromberg.dnsalias.org/~strombrg/bashquote.html

...a while back that is for wrapping up a string in bash quoting - so if
you expect to pass it through 3 successive ssh's, one invoking the
next... (for example), you can wrap up your string in 3 layers of bash
quoting first, pass it into the nested ssh's (each of which strips off a
layer using bash) and the original string comes out on the other side of
the ssh's).

It's been GPLv2.

I'd like to use it in a program I'm writing for my employer, and they
seem cautious about the GPL.  If a program I write on my employer's time
uses a python module that is GPL, does that mean the program must also be
GPL?  Or is that just for linking in the C sense?  It's just a little
helper program - it probably wouldn't make them give away the keys to the
kingdom (I'm exaggerating) to GPL the whole thing, but they still might
be skittish.

I love the GPL, and still want to license most of my on-my-own-time code
under the GPL, but I'm thinking about relicensing this module under the
LGPL, the Apache license, or especially: something that would be
compatible with the python distribution if it were ever to make it into
that.  And hey, maybe not this one, but maybe some future module, so I
may as well explore it now...

Does anyone know the in's and out's of relicensing a python module this
way?  And what license do most python modules use?  What would I need to
do?

How hard would it be to take a GPLv2 python module and relicense it to
GPLv2 and something else just for my employer?  The main reason I don't
favor this is it sounds kind of complicated, but maybe that's just
because I've heard of it less.

Followups directed to gmane.comp.licenses.open-source.general, though
this being a pair of mailing lists, perhaps that won't change things
much.  :)

Thanks!