Speaking of Calling Things Open Source When They Aren't...

David Dillard davidedillard at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 14:13:51 UTC 2008

Did anyone see this announcement about the "open sourcing" of Zoto's
software:
http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/ajax_photo_sharing_site_zoto.php

It's hosted on Google Code (http://code.google.com/p/zoto-server/) and is
allegedly made available under the New BSD License.  However, the
description of the project contains this: "The server and the rest of the
Zoto code base is now free for non-commercial use. If you want to use Zoto's
software in a commercial, for-profit environment, you can contact Kord
Campbell at kordless at gmail.com, to inquire about licensing options for
commercial applications."

Doesn't sound like they intend it to be open source to me.  I wonder if
Google will allow Zoto to continue to use their code hosting service under
these terms?