RPL 1.5 discussion

Philippe Verdy verdy_p at wanadoo.fr
Thu Sep 20 22:34:47 UTC 2007

No, I've not said that. The kind of attribution that is needed is the
obligation to carry the copyright notice along with a clear identification
of the author and the jurisdiction where it resides and has its rights and
obligations protected and/or mandated by law.

Such obligations are already more explicitly made about publishers since
centennials in the press and book industry, it was required since many a
half century for telematic applications, then repeated for publishers of
vocal phone services, it is normally required too on the Internet.

So copyright lines that just say : "copyright (c) 2006 example.com"
in the web site hosted on the internet domain "example.com", are completely
invalid: domain names are not legal identities given that they don't belong
to their registrant, and donot survive more than one year of subscription,
and there's still no legalregistry about their historic reservation (in
addition, to reserve a internet domain, you still don't need to be securely
identified).

The kind of required information include a identifiable author name or
legitimate right owner, a jurisdiction where it is known (and where its
legal existence can be verified in official records).

For physical persons, this is not a problem, but for moral persons (i.e.
organizations) the fact they may need to display their name in a copyright
notice to conform to laws applicable to them and to defend their rights,
cannot be considered as advertising. Laws may also describe minimum
conditions for finding this attribution. If this is only present in the
source files, it is not enough. If it is only present in the executable, it
will not conform to its sources and will not be open-source or free
software. So the notice must be present in both forms, and ina binary
application, this must be accessible to any user,without having to use
complicate technical means (so when the copyright notice is displayed in an
About box or at startup, the application is just conforming to the
obligations.

Note that this notice cannot be furtive: it must be readable even to slow
readers. So it's not irreasonnable to demand a minimum size. However
demanding that a logo be displayed, or advertising a website is not
reasonable, because these don't add anything to the correct identification
of the organization or person, and gives today absolutely no indication
about the applicable jurisdiction and the associated rights and obligations
associated to that right owner.