Automatic GPL termination

Alexander Terekhov alexander.terekhov at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 19:18:12 UTC 2007

On 9/14/07, Philippe Verdy <verdy_p at wanadoo.fr> wrote:

(Regarding CeCILL license upgrades and mutation to the GPL, including
future versions, if contaminated)

> Alexander Terekhov [mailto:alexander.terekhov at gmail.com]wrote:
> > I meant (hypothetically) future GPL version 6.6.6 or some such that
> > would prescribe negative royalties. According to Philippe' logic, a
> > distributor (me) will rightfully bankrupt him with no questions asked
> > acting as a proxy in his name switching to new contract.
>
> So you are speaking about something that still does not exist. Such change
> in the GPL would make it incompatible with existing GPL rules.

But look, each new version of the GPL is genuinely incompatible with
all previous (and future) versions of itself. That's the GPL design
principle. Go ask Stallman and arch legal beagles at softwarefreedom.
So your objection doesn't hold, sorry.

regards,
alexander.

--
"PJ points out that lawyers seem to have difficulty understanding the
GPL. My main concern with GPLv3 is that - unlike v2 - non-lawyers can't