[META] a plea

Sacha Labourey sacha.labourey.ml at jboss.org
Tue Sep 11 12:01:53 UTC 2007

On 09/11/2007 01:12 PM, David Woolley wrote:
> Gwyn Murray wrote:
>>
>> For on-law topics aimed at a legal audience, please check out the
>> open-bar website and discuss-general list.   www.open-bar.org
>
> The off topic threads aren't about general law, they are about whether
> or not it is legally possible to create open source licences that
> achieve the objectives of people using them.  They are intimately
> related to the viability of most, if not, all licence proposals.
>
> They belong on a software licensing list, not a general law list.

For what it's worth, I agree with this. These are recurring topics. If
the "good answer" to these questions (re-licensing, copyright, etc.) is
obvious to the OSI, I think the OSI should formally take a stance on
those and post that official stance somewhere on the OSI web site. Then,
license-discuss could really be used to discuss new licenses BASED on
these premises. Then, it would be OK to ban any discussion related to
these premises from license-discuss (you could open another ML for that).

However, simply dismissing these topics or calling people "trolls"
because they keep raising them is not fine IMO: if you don't take an
official stance don't be surprised if people keep "sharing their view".

Cheers,

                Sacha