For Approval: The Simplified BSD License

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Sun Sep 9 02:51:04 UTC 2007

Zac Bowling wrote:
> I suggest non approval. This is the "FreeBSD license"
> (http://www.freebsd.org/copyright/freebsd-license.html). It's close
> enough to Modified BSD/MIT/X11 and offers no new novel features or
> concepts. Because a license is compatible or not with the GPL should
> not beat the non mass license proliferation goals of the OSI.

I don't think anyone said GPL-compatibility is the reason for this
submission; the initial submission said "unambiguously compatible with
GPL", but that's not the primary reason.  The primary reason is simply
that the license is widely adopted in the BSD communities.  But as you
say, New BSD (the version already approved) is actually compatible with
both versions of GPL.

Matt Flaschen