For Approval: Microsoft Permissive License

Zac Bowling zac at zacbowling.com
Sat Sep 8 23:58:36 UTC 2007

I understand what you are saying. The problem is that licenses evolve.
They are in all intents different licenses. Take a look at creative
commons. They premote the latest but there are tons of differences and
revisions and versions and they stay in effect by those using them.

People are still releasing software under GPLv2 and will not or cannot
upgrade to GPLv3 (such is the case with the Linux kernel which can't
be changed to GPLv3 without securing the approval of every single
contributor that ever sent a patch in). Sun is releasing OpenJDK under
GPLv2 and says it will not upgrade to GPLv3 in the near future. The
same could be true for other licenses. It's all still open source.

We should do the same and probably recommend using the latest version,
but older versions that qualified as open source don't suddenly not
qualifly.

Zac

--
Zac Bowling