For Approval: The Simplified BSD License

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Sep 8 03:17:20 UTC 2007

Quoting Donovan Hawkins (hawkins at cephira.com):

> Why is that exactly? The proliferation of BSD-like licenses is enormous,
> and I don't quite understand the reason for it when so many of the
> licenses are so similar.

I would speculate that it's because many proponents of simple permissive
licences are highly adverse to legal topics in general, and so write a
new one-off licence rather than seeking out and evaluating existing ones
under a slightly misguided desire to steer clear of everything lawyerly,
and stick to coding.

Ironically, this of course defeats the licensor's aim in the long run.