Blogger claiming "shared source" is approved by OSI

Alexander Terekhov alexander.terekhov at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 16:36:12 UTC 2007

On 10/18/07, Danese Cooper <danese at gmail.com> wrote:
> Copying Bill Hilf on this comment.  Can you guys please keep all the
> CCs intact?

To quote Tim Smith of gnu.misc.discuss (and also c.o.l.a.) replying to
some paranoid GNUtian and "freedom" lover like mini-RMS
(<rms at 1407.org>) fellow:

------
A lot of your items fall victim to what I call the blog effect.  What
happens is that *one* blog posts a bit of speculation, or otherwise
posts something that turns out not to be accurate.  Other bloggers read
it, and some post about it.  Others read those, and some of those blog,
and so on.  Once you get past the first level, you start losing some of
the paths back to the original.  So you end up with blogs repeating the
original item, saying that they got it from several blogs, and that
gives the impression that there are independent sources for the
item--but it all goes back to one, unverified, source.

And nowadays, all the major tech news outlets ALSO have blogs, so people
read something on a CNET or Wired blog, say, and then when they blog
about it, they say "CNET is reporting that...", and this adds further
credibility in the mind of subsequent readers--they think the blogger is
reporting on a news story from CNET, not on a random CNET blog entry.
------

regards,
alexander.

--
"To show the falsity of 'PJ''s claims, in most cases I need look no further
than Groklaw itself. 'PJ' wants more journalists to use the site as a

                                    -- http://tinyurl.com/2mn3jc