BSD-like licenses and the OSI approval process

Donovan Hawkins hawkins at cephira.com
Wed Oct 17 00:04:07 UTC 2007

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007, Chris Travers wrote:

> I would add that the license needs to be as short as possible.
> Clarity is not always found in length.  (Quite frankly it is unclear
> to me whether the AFL requires source code redistribution in verbatim
> copying relating to a collective work, as this would involve someone
> sublicensing the original work to downstream licensees.)

If a license replaces just BSDL (or just MIT, etc), then it should be
pretty darned short. If it were modular to the point that it replaced
most of the permissive licenses, I think it could be significantly longer.
To address people who would be unhappy with the length, having a "plain
English" description (a la Creative Commons) would be fairly effective.

"Efficient" is critical. "Short" may or may not be, though some people
might insist on it.

Donovan Hawkins, PhD                 "The study of physics will always be
Software Engineer                     safer than biology, for while the
hawkins at cephira.com                   hazards of physics drop off as 1/r^2,
http://www.cephira.com                biological ones grow exponentially."