BSD-like licenses and the OSI approval process

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Tue Oct 16 17:28:29 UTC 2007

I will restate my point yet one more time so Chris can better understand his
options.

I don't understand why Chris' business is hurt because he can't claim that
each of the components of *his* software are under OSI-approved BSD-like
licenses. Who cares about that? Chris is already free to:

1) Combine all those BSD-licensed components into *his* software.

2) Release *his* software under an existing OSI-approved license, and not
worry about the licenses on the components. *His* software will be open
source as long as he really does provide all that source code!

As long as Chris complies with the terms of all those other BSD-like
licenses on the components he uses, he shouldn't care one whit whether
PostgreSQL or those other licenses actually get OSI approval.

Not only that, Chris, but I already suggested that you use AFL 3.0 for
*your* business software and stop tying up this list with approval requests
for all those other old and inadequate BSD-like licenses!

/Larry