BSD-like licenses and the OSI approval process

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Mon Oct 15 00:48:21 UTC 2007

Arnoud Engelfriet scripsit:

> I agree. You can distribute BSD-licensed works under any license
> you want, provided you meet the conditions in the BSD license
> (and don't hold the authors liable for any damages).

I still don't see what gives you the authority to do that.  You
can license *derivative* works as you like, and you can license
(as in general) a *collective* work as you like, but the original
work?  How do you get the power to license that?

--
Here lies the Christian,                        John Cowan
        judge, and poet Peter,                  http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
Who broke the laws of God                       cowan at ccil.org
        and man and metre.