For Approval: Boost Software License - Version 1.0 - August 17th, 2003

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Wed Oct 10 22:03:18 UTC 2007

on Tue Oct 09 2007, devin.smith-AT-emdserono.com wrote:

> Hi David:
>
> I don't know anything about Alexander, but I submitted the attached
> request in accordance with the approval process described on the OSI
> website (http://opensource.org/approval).
>
> I exchanged email with someone at OSI about the request.  (It's been
> over a year since I left the firm so unfortunately I don't have
> access to my old email there, so I don't know the name.  Thought I
> copied you on the thread.)  He said it would be reviewed, never
> mentioned that the request was deficient, then stopped responding to
> my emails.

Hi Devin,

I don't have the original application, but I found a July 2006
followup exchange (message-ID:
364C4AFC21D30D4695919631A5C2AEC25B3E3B at bos11.nixonpeabody.com) that
you had with Russ Nelson after repeated attempts to get a response to
the application. Russ confirmed OSI's receipt of the application by
saying

   "Received, sorry.  Am at OSCON this week.  Busy."

As far as I know, that was the last we heard from OSI.

I think I know what the problem is: the OSI has contradictory
information on their website, as pointed out in a recent thread on
their own mailing list:

  http://www.nabble.com/forum/ViewPost.jtp?post=11936636&framed=y

The message you copied me on was sent to
license-approval at opensource.org, which is described at
http://www.opensource.org/docs/certification_mark.html as the place to
send approval requests, instead of license-discuss at opensource.org,
which is mentioned at http://opensource.org/approval.  Unfortunately
for us, the license-approval list has no online archive so we can't
definitively prove anything about your posting there, but it seems
fairly likely that you saw both sets of instructions and overlooked
the subtle difference in list names, or simply assumed (quite
reasonably) that the "approval" list was the one to apply to for
license approval ;-).

I will re-post the application text you sent me to the license-discuss
list; I hope that under the circumstances the OSI is willing to
consider this a pending application rather than a new one, and will
let us know if there is anything else we need to do.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting