BSD-like licenses and the OSI approval process

Alexander Terekhov alexander.terekhov at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 18:48:58 UTC 2007

On 10/12/07, Lawrence Rosen <lrosen at rosenlaw.com> wrote:
> Alexander Terekhov keeps finding silly reasons to object:
> > "When the collecting of the preexisting material that makes up the
> > compilation is a purely mechanical task with no element of editorial
> > selection, or when only a few minor deletions constitute an
> > abridgment, copyright protection for the compilation or abridgment as
> > a new version is not available. "
>
> The creative aspects of my AFL 3.0-licensed collection of harvested
> BSD-licensed works include my review of each of those BSD-licensed
> components to ensure that:

[... Rosen's hard review work ...]

Well, I suppose that your case regarding assertion of copyright on a
compilation of BSD-licensed components might fly in court if your
collection would fit on a 360 KB diskette or (at most) on a late 20th
century Iomega Zip drive.

But as long as you want to harvest and review the entirety of
BSD-licensed components available on the net, all I can say is this:

Go ahead Larry, work hard on reviewing it all day and night, I'll most
likely die before seeing you in court asserting copyright on such
collection.

regards,
alexander.

--
"PJ points out that lawyers seem to have difficulty understanding the
GPL. My main concern with GPLv3 is that - unlike v2 - non-lawyers can't