For Approval: BSD License, PostgreSQL Variant

dlw danw6144 at insightbb.com
Thu Oct 11 17:22:05 UTC 2007

Chris Travers wrote:

>  Mr Tiemann's view was actually quite clear.  The argument is that
>  some licenses such as the SimPL allow downstream authors to
>  essentially pretend that the code was released under the GPL from the
>  start.

"Essentially pretend[ing] that the code was released under the GPL" is a
risky strategy. Pretending that your copyright
license is enforceable can cause big problems.

Releasing your source code under the GPL and then pretending the GPL
gives you sufficient rights to reverse engineer proprietary derivative
works is quite risky. If you sue for enforcement of the GPL and it is
ruled unenforceable
(and someday it certainly will be) you've got a counterclaim for
copyright infringement to face. I doubt the SFLC will then defend you
pro bono.