For Approval: BSD License, PostgreSQL Variant

Tzeng, Nigel H. Nigel.Tzeng at jhuapl.edu
Thu Oct 11 06:13:21 UTC 2007

I would personally like either of Chris' or Michael's suggestions.  I have not asked that we submit our open source license (MIT with extra disclaimers) under the assumption that it would fail the license proliferation threshold but if there were an option to submit a license as a MIT variant and not contribute to LP I'd try to get the ball rolling in that direction.

It sure would be nice to say "Yes, we're OSI approved.  You can find us on the MIT variant page."

As to why I don't ask that we release under an already OSI approved license the extra disclaimers and clarifications to the base MIT license I presume were viewed by our legal department to be highly desirable/necessary.  I can make the case that OSI approval is worth reworking the license to be reusable by removing the "vanity" bits but not likely that the extra disclaimers are unnecessary for us.

Of course, avoiding the need to mention another university at all might also be helpful. Perhaps we can re-word to be an ISC variant. :)

I've included the JHU/APL license below.  It is not submitted for approval (not that its in the right format anyway, nor am I likely empowered to) but discussion as to whether it would meet the metric as a variant or diverges too much.  I can ask that it be officially submitted if desired.

Regards,

Nigel

ObDis:  Speaking for myself and not for The Johns Hopkins University

---

LICENSE AND DISCLAIMER

Copyright (c) 2006 The Johns Hopkins University.

This software was developed at The Johns Hopkins University/Applied
Physics Laboratory ("JHU/APL") that is the author thereof under the
"work made for hire" provisions of the copyright law. Permission is
hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this
software and associated documentation (the "Software"), to use the
Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights
to copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell
copies of the Software, and to permit others to do so, subject to the
following conditions:

1.  This LICENSE AND DISCLAIMER, including the copyright notice, shall
     be included in all copies of the Software, including copies of
     substantial portions of the Software;

 2.  JHU/APL assumes no obligation to provide support of any kind with
     regard to the Software.  This includes no obligation to provide
     assistance in using the Software nor to provide updated versions of
    the Software; and

 3.  THE SOFTWARE AND ITS DOCUMENTATION ARE PROVIDED AS IS AND WITHOUT
     ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES WHATSOEVER.  ALL WARRANTIES
     INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PERFORMANCE, MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS
     FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT ARE HEREBY DISCLAIMED.
    USERS ASSUME THE ENTIRE RISK AND LIABILITY OF USING THE SOFTWARE.
    USERS ARE ADVISED TO TEST THE SOFTWARE THOROUGHLY BEFORE RELYING ON
     IT.  IN NO EVENT SHALL THE JOHNS HOPKINS UNIVERSITY BE LIABLE FOR
     ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY LOST
     PROFITS, LOST SAVINGS OR OTHER INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES,
     ARISING OUT OF THE USE OR INABILITY TO USE THE SOFTWARE.