For Approval: Microsoft Permissive License

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Mon Oct 8 06:55:46 UTC 2007

Rick Moen wrote:

> circumstances putting a sticker on a retail package saying "Microsoft
> Public Licensed", that form of diction just not being normal, nor the

It is very normal for marketing people.  Probably with a star around it
as a feature to be quickly spotted on the shelves.

> described action.  Putting "Released under the terms of the Microsoft
> Public License" would be rather more normal and likely.

Who would ensure that text, required by the lawyers, like this was in as
small print as possible (and it would be printed on the main packaging,
not a sticker).  Stickers are a marketing device for highlighting
selling points.

"Microsoft" has a significance in the public mind that, say  "Mozilla"
doesn't have, so I think this is a real issue in terms of usability of
the licence.  The fear, uncertainty and doubt about its use means that
it will only be used in contexts where the code has an association with
Microsoft, e.g. it comes in part from Microsoft, or it is sample code in
a third party contribution to the MSDN Journal, where, I imagine,
Microsoft will encourage its use.

--
David Woolley