Question on OSI position on BSD/MIT licenses

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Fri Oct 5 22:49:06 UTC 2007

Chris Travers wrote:
> So am I right then that the OSI's position is that every possible wording of
> the MIT, BSD, and similar licenses do not need to be approved for people to
> claim that a project is Open Source?

What's most important is whether the license is OSD-compliant.  However,
that's sometimes in dispute, so OSI strongly encourages people to seek
approval of the license before calling it Open Source.  Permissive
licenses tend to be more obviously OSD-compliant, so it's not as much of
an issue for them.

Matt Flaschen