license categories, was: I'm not supposed to use the ECL v2?

Chris Travers chris.travers at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 02:29:29 UTC 2007

On Nov 29, 2007 6:07 PM, Ernest Prabhakar <ernest.prabhakar at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I've started a page on the Trac Wiki for that purpose:
>
> https://osi.osuosl.org/wiki/help/recommend
>
> Hopefully we'll soon have some editors who can work on it :-)

I notice that any reasonable reading of that page would seem to suggest that
the use of the GPL v3 (being incompatible with the GPL v2 and not as widely
used) is strongly discouraged by the OSI.  I trust this was not the intent.

My own thinking here is that we may want to think a bit harder about the
question of whether we want to recommend licenses on the basis of
popularity.  It might be better to simply suggest that the cost in terms of
code reuse from choosing incompatible licenses might be a good thing worth
considering.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers