Question on OSD #5

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Sun Nov 25 10:55:30 UTC 2007

Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> Chris Travers wrote:

>> Similarly, if I hand you a modified version of GPL v2 software with an
>> appropriately scoped NDA designed to prevent you from distributing the
>> software with my name attached (for example, designed to protect my
>> company from competitors knowing what I was up to),
>
> I think that's probably fine, since it doesn't apply to the code.

If you have made modifications, the GPL requires that you include a
proper statement of who owns the copyrights.  That would be in direct
conflict with the NDA, so I would say that the GPL does not permit that
case.

> I assume you mean if the partners are "making or running the covered
> works [...] exclusively on your behalf, under your direction and
> control, on terms that prohibit them from making any copies of your
> copyrighted material outside their relationship with you."
>
> Of course, this is a very limited exception, and is more intended for
> subcontractors then general "partners".

I agree.  It is not intended to cover live use.  It only really covers
the sort of use typically allowed by proprietary software developer
licences.

--
David Woolley