Question on OSD #5

Chris Travers chris.travers at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 17:48:05 UTC 2007

On Nov 23, 2007 12:03 AM, John Cowan <cowan at ccil.org> wrote:
> Arnoud Engelfriet scripsit:
>
> > US guards let people carry pieces of paper out of a classified location?
>
> It is not unknown for pizza delivery people to get into highly classified
> locations *and* out again.

Because it would really suck for a Pizza delivery individual to be
allowed in but not back out ;-).

Honestly there are all sorts of ways that classified leaks occur.  If
people want to break the rules they can, which is a big reason for
clearing people for access to such information.

Note that state secrets, like trade secrets, are really orthogonal to
open source.  I don;t see why it would be a problem for one to include
classified algorithms in a private modification of GPL code (for
example, for a missile guidance system), but at the same time, that
specific version might no longer be considered open source.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers