Open Source vs opensource

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Nov 21 19:02:07 UTC 2007

Quoting Paolo Ciarrocchi (paolo.ciarrocchi at gmail.com):

> We were discussing about his strong interpretation of "opensource".
> He's considering this word as "source code available" but with no relationship
> to licences and right to modify the code.

The latter concept is most reasonably labelled "source-available
software" or "viewable software".

When someone tries to call that "opensource software" and claims it's a
distinct and legitimate separate concept, I detect the smell of used cow
food around that, and strongly suspect someone attempting to encroach
proprietary offering onto the domain of genuine open source in a rather
sleazy and transparent fashion.