Open Source vs opensource

Paolo Ciarrocchi paolo.ciarrocchi at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 13:44:40 UTC 2007

On Nov 21, 2007 2:33 PM,  <fwilf at morganlewis.com> wrote:
> Paolo,

Hi Fred,

> This is the computer industry.  What do you *want* the terms to mean?  ;-)

Good point. I thought that opensource and Open Source ment the same thing,
exactly what you posted as part of your answer.

> http://www.opensource.org/docs/osd

> The generic use of the term "open source" is open to interpretation.  Much
> of the OSI definition (the "OSD") evolves from what open source
> professionals and users *want* the term to mean.  Attributes include
> availability of the source code, the right to modify the source code, and
> the requirement that modified versions of the source code also be made
> available.

I see.

> So, there are some differences between the generic term "open source"
> (which no one owns, and thus is open to debate), and the Open Source
> Definition as implemented by OSI.
>
> What is the particular issue or application you and your friend are
> discussing?

We were discussing about his strong interpretation of "opensource".
He's considering this word as "source code available" but with no relationship
to licences and right to modify the code.

Instead, I was under the impression that "Open Source", "opensource"
and "open source"
have the same clear meaning as stated by OSI.

Thanks.

Regards,
                    Paolo