Boost Software License approval triage complete

Zak Greant zak at greant.com
Sat Nov 17 23:37:55 UTC 2007

Greetings All,

I've processed all the messages directly relevant to the Boost
Software License approval request (or so I hope :)

I'm fairly happy with the results of the process. Most people who are
familiar with the broad set of issues around Open Source licensing
could use the small collection of tickets generated from the triage to
quickly get up-to-date with the discussions and current status of the
request.

The process was a bit sloppy - grinding through a bunch of mail while
commenting isn't a great way to get sharp focus, but I think that it
is sufficient compared to the previous state of affairs.

I'm pretty sure that Russ raised the issue of license proliferation
and that I just missed it in this first sweep.

Other that this potential issue, I don't believe that there has been a
meaningful objection raised against the approval of the license.

* "Objection: Boost Software License approval request invalid"
(https://osi.osuosl.org/ticket/61), is clearly false and I have closed
the relevant ticket.

* "Objection: Boost Software License does not grant right to
distribute derivative works" (https://osi.osuosl.org/ticket/59) is - I
believe - only meaningful as a suggestion for future versions of the
license.

Most people who chose to comment directly on the matter of whether or
not the license should be approved thought that it should be approved.
Objections each received their own ticket. Support is bundled into one
ticket: https://osi.osuosl.org/ticket/59

Personally, I'd recommend that this license be approved with the
caveat of recommending that it only be used for existing Boost
Software License licensed projects or new projects based on or
integrated with Boost Software License licensed projects.

Many thanks to everyone who stayed on topic, held their peace and/or
has been toughing it out to make sure that this particular license
approval stayed on the collective radar.

Comments on the process are welcome.
--
Cheers!
--zak