[triage] Re: For Approval: Boost Software License - Version 1.0 - August 17th, 2003

Zak Greant zak at greant.com
Sat Nov 17 18:58:28 UTC 2007

Greetings Matt, license-discussers,

On Sep 15, 2007, at 17:07PDT (CA), Matthew Flaschen wrote:

> Chris Travers wrote:
>
>> Note the language "and to prepare derivative works of the software."
>>
>> Maybe you are referring to something else?
>
> It says you can "prepare", but not that you can distribute them.
> But I
> believe Alex Terekhov and John Cowan have both noted that once you
> have
> permission to create a derivative work, no special permission to
> distribute it is necessary.  If they want to impose conditions on the
> distribution of a derivative work, this has to be done explicitly.
>
> I think this is is a non-issue.  It is also very strongly implied by
> "must be included in all copies of the Software, in whole or in part,
> and all derivative works of the Software" that derivative works can be
> distributed.  I can't seriously imagine any judge ruling otherwise.
>
> This license is closely based on the approved MIT license
> (http://opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php), which doesn't
> explicitly grant the right to distribute derivative works either, but
> again there's no other reasonable interpretation.

I've paraphrased this and added it as a comment to:
   https://osi.osuosl.org/ticket/59

I also pressed submit too early, leaving errors in the paraphrasing.

https://osi.osuosl.org/ticket/59#comment:6

A (sometimes frustrating) feature of Trac is that comments on tickets
can't be edited via the Trac interface. This isn't a terrible thing,
I just need to be more careful.

I've added another comment to note and correct the error.

https://osi.osuosl.org/ticket/59#comment:7

https://osi.osuosl.org/ticket/58#comment:5

> If it hasn't been properly submitted for approval, please say
> what needs to be done.

The interest in a more flexible submission process is a recurring
theme on this list.

Captured here https://osi.osuosl.org/ticket/31#comment:3

Cheers!
--zak