Communication skills

Russ Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Thu Nov 15 19:18:21 UTC 2007

Dag-Erling Smørgrav writes:
 > Russ Nelson <nelson at crynwr.com> writes:
 > > Dag-Erling Smørgrav writes:
 > > > IIRC, the matter of the name of the license I did submit was brought
 > > > up on license-discuss, and I pointed out that it is used by several
 > > > projects, some of which are known for their animosity towards each
 > > > other.  Naming the license after one of those projects would not be a
 > > > smart move, especially when that project was not even the first to use
 > > > it.
 > > What do you suggest we do about it?
 >
 > About what?  The license I submitted for approval is named "The
 > Simplified BSD License".  Why are you trying to create a problem where
 > none exists?

I'm not sure you understand the problem, so I'll explain it again.
Every license we approve imposes a cost on all software distributors,
and on some software users.  A software distributor needs to read and
understand every license for every software product they distribute.
Some software users feel they need to read and understand every
license for the software they use.  If there were two licenses which
had *identical* terms, that doubles the cost of reading that license.

A better solution would be to approve the "Simplified BSD / FreeBSD
License".  I offer "SFBSD" as the short name.  Is that solution
acceptable to you?

--
--my blog is at    http://blog.russnelson.com   | People have strong opinions
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | about economics even though