[OT] For Approval: MLL (minimal library license)

Ben Tilly btilly at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 23:11:59 UTC 2007

On Nov 13, 2007 2:24 PM, Matthew Flaschen <matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu> wrote:
> Chris Travers wrote:
> > As for FUD, there is a lot of *reasonable* fear, uncertainty, and
> > doubt
>
> There is no such thing as reasonable fear and doubt.  Fear and doubt are
> irrational responses to uncertainty.  Attempting to provoke irrational

While rhetoric has a purpose, let's try to keep it reasonable.

Suppose you have a co-worker.  Suppose further that you've seen him
carrying a gun to work.  Suppose further that he shows signs of being
a paranoid schizophrenic.  Now suppose that he calls up the office
threating to come over and shoot the place up.  Would anyone honestly
say that fear and doubt are not reasonable responses?  (This example
coincidentally came up at lunch.  It happened at a co-worker's
previous job, with the guy who flipped out being the co-worker's
boss.)

Therefore fear and doubt can be rational responses to a situation of
uncertainty.

Whether they are rational responses _to a particular case_ of
uncertainty is another question.  And there is no doubt that people
often trigger that response when there isn't a solid reason for it.
And I get the point that you think that Chris expresses fear and doubt
in cases where you think he shouldn't.  (Particularly around the GPL
v3.)

But saying that there is NO SUCH THING as reasonable fear and doubt is
just plain silly.  As my co-worker's experience illustrates.

Cheers,
Ben

PS What does this have to do with license approval?  Oh right.
Nothing.  I'll shut up now...