Microsoft's Open Source Licenses

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Fri Nov 2 19:01:04 UTC 2007

Cinly Ooi wrote:

> Whether Microsoft can claim
> that its "other" licenses share some characteristics of OSD approved license
> is up to OSD to decide.

I assume you mean OSI.  However, OSI has never made an /official/
judgment  (and I hope never will) that a license partially complies with
the OSD.

I personally agree that other Microsoft shared source licenses comply
with some provisions, but as I said, this doesn't meaningfully make them
partially or nearly OSD-compliant.

> My $0.02 is Rosenberg's statement is inaccurate:
>
> The diversity of Microsoft Shared Source license means it covers a very
> large (or full?) spectrum, from 99.999% proprietary "look but don't touch"
> license to 100% OSD approved license.

Microsoft Shared Source certainly is a wide spectrum, which is another
reason not to make statements about OSD's applicability (or lack
thereof) to the group as a whole.

Judging by Sam Ramji's email, Microsoft understands the issue here, and
will not refer to the OSD in connection with non-approved licenses.

Matt Flaschen